Thursday, May 26, 2016

Life's Tough Get a Helmet ...

I remember seeing a show on the Disney Channel when our girls were younger where a big brother said to his little brother while popping him on the forehead, "Life's tough get a helmet." 

I have played that clip over and over several times in the theater of my mind in the last 12 or so years as I have faced many tough times. Once while thinking through the question, I came up with another question. What proverbial "helmet" was the young man on TV referring to when he popped his little brother on the head? 

If I am to take his advice and put on a "helmet" when life is tough: what, where, who, ... is this helmet??? 

After giving this question some serious thought, let me suggest that we can use the following as a "helmet" as we go through life knowing that "life is tough."

*The Bible can serve as our helmet. Just the other day while dealing with a challenge I was reading Psalm 46 and it gave me what I needed to press through challenge I was facing. It was the helmet that I needed. In verse 1 it starts, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble." The Bible reminded me that God was there even during this time of loss. The ancient promise is true, "God's Word will never fail."

*Friends can serve as a helmet. God did not intend for us to do life alone. We are social creatures. He made us to relate to Him and to relate to one another. The fact is we need each other. Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived wrote, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up." (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)

*God desires to be our helmet. Think about it for a moment. What is a helmet designed to do? It is designed to protect. God is our greatest protector and He invites us to bring all over our concerns and challenges straight to Him. The apostle Peter wrote, "Cast all of your cares on Him because He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) This is awesome! God intimately cares for you and me. He cares so much that He invites us to bring to Him all of our cares, concerns, and challenges. Yes, we can go straight to God in prayer and He will be our "helmet" as we go through life.

Stay encouraged and know that God loves you and so do we!

No comments:

Post a Comment